One of the most comforting things, after 9 months of a massive belly, water retention and an aching back is to get back into that favorite pair of worn-in blue jeans. The truth is, however, that most of take months to get back into our pre-pregnancy clothing. It just doesn’t have to be that way…
1. Healthy Weight Gain – One of the easiest ways to get back into your normal clothing is to be conscious of your weight during pregnancy. The average woman should gain between 25-30 pounds during a full term pregnancy and this weight gain is important for baby development. However, most women gain in the 40-50 pound range and this is not necessary. It just makes it that harder to loose after the baby arrives.
2. Stay Active – Just because you are pregnant, does not mean that you have to give up being active. There are many ways to exercise aside from going to the gym and taking part in rigorous aerobic classes. You can stroll around your neighborhood every day, do yoga and stretching exercises, walk the dog, and many other simple forms of staying active.
3. Breastfeed Your Baby – Some women swear that breastfeeding is the magic formula for loosing weight. It works for some women and not for others. However, because you are extra careful what you put into your body while you are nursing your time, you naturally eat better and this helps the weight to come off.
4. Choose a Sensible Dietary Plan – Eat a daily diet that is high in protein, vitamins and nutrients each day. Lots of leafy green vegetables, fruit, meat and egg proteins as well as milk are all essentials to loosing weight after pregnancy.
5. Walk it Off – Walk anywhere and everywhere you can. Instead of driving, walk to the corner store, to the post office and to the mailbox. Take the baby out for a walk at least twice a day, either in the stroller or in a baby carrier. Whether you are in the house or out at an appointment, take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever you can. All of these are easy to do, and take no time at all.
6. Exercise Every Day – If you are able to get out to the gym, do it! It gives you a break from the new baby, gives your husband a chance to bond with baby and allows you to mingle with other adults for an hour or so each day. Taking aerobic or aquatic classes is a fast way to get back into those beloved blue jeans, especially if you can maintain an elevated heart rate for at least 30 minutes each day.
7. Drink Lots of Water – Your body loves water! Make sure to drink at least 32 ounces of water each day. It keeps your body hydrated, it is good for your baby if you are breastfeeding, and it keeps your body feeling full and satisfied.
8. Stay Away from Sugar – Sugar and junk food are deadly when it comes to loosing post-pregnancy weight. Also, they are not good for your baby if you are breastfeeding. The act of simply cutting sugars and junk food out of your diet will result in a loss of 5-10 pounds in a few months without even thinking about it.
9. Abstain from Alcohol – Although alcohol will not contribute to weight gain, certain ingredients will impede your ability to loose weight quickly.
10. Eat Often – Eating 5 or 6 small meals every single day is better than 3 large meals. Eating often keeps your metabolism high so your body burns fat longer and continuously. It also keeps you feeling full so you are less likely to binge eat throughout the day.